Monday, February 7, 2011

Family

My siblings and I have always been super close. Yes, we have had our share of disagreements, but for the most part, we have always loved spending time together. Sometimes, we can be a bit overwhelming when we all get together. When Craig asked my parents for their blessing, Mom made reference to this. She said that some people did not know how to handle the four of us, but he was fine just sitting back and watching. We are crazy and LOVE to reminisce, but we have strong bonds that are rare in some families.

I know if I need anything I could call Adam, Luke, or Bethany at any moment, and they would drop everything to help. As we were growing up, so many people asked my parents what they did to make us act that way. I always thought our close bonds developed over our LONG car trips to Virginia (and everywhere else), having one television in our entire house, sharing bedrooms, eating dinner together at the table every night, and many more things we did. However, what I realize more and more now is that our close bonds run much deeper. I believe the closeness we share has more to do with family history than the day to day happenings in my house.

Over the weekend, I attended the funeral of my great uncle. Uncle Tock was my grandmother's brother. Grandma was one of ten children. From the time I was little, I can remember driving down my grandmother's road and learning of a different family member who lived in almost every house along the road. It was crazy!! Grandma and her siblings share very close bonds. I think my mom and my aunt witnessed those bonds and passed them down to their families. Now, I can see what rich family history we have.

My uncle's health started failing. After his wife's death, everyone soon realized he could not live alone. So, his brother and sister-in-law moved in his house and became his caretakers. I think most people would overlook their sacrifice, but I have been amazed by their example of love. I am so blessed to have grown up with this great example of love and service to others. I am blessed to share bonds with my siblings that many people do not have. Thank you Grandma for showing us how to love and serve others. Thank you Mom for seeing this wonderful gift and sharing it with your children. Thank you Adam, Luke, and Bethany for continuing in this history!

Love is patient. Love is kind. It does not envy. It does not boast. It is not proud. It does not dishonor others. It is not self-seeking. It is not easily angered. It keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.

3 comments:

  1. What a sweet post. You are truly blessed to have such family and such love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right...so much of who we are has come from the example of those who've gone before. How blessed we are. So thankful you and Craig could be there on Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You definitely have one of the best families I have ever had the privilege of knowing. You guys are a blessing to anyone who has ever been around you! I love you and miss you dearly.

    ReplyDelete