Monday, June 20, 2011

texas farewell

Friday morning we headed to San Marcos (45 minutes from San Antonio) for shopping, and I was really excited. They probably have the best outlets, and we found lots of bargains. Craig had really good luck and may have spent more than me, which is rare. We ate lunch at Freebirds (TX trying to be Baja Burrito) and then returned to the outlets for a few more hours of shopping.

After shopping, we drove to Austin (30 minutes from San Marcos). Our first stop was the University of Texas. This may have been one of Craig's highlights, but we were not able to stay long. We met his high school friend, Nathan and his wife Melissa, for dinner at Kerbey Lane. It was a wonderful place, and we had fun catching up. Then, we went to see a play with them. We had a fabulous Friday in San Marcos and Austin.

We slept late on Saturday due to our late night in Austin. We met Georgia Ockerman, her daughter Emily, and Shirley (her son Jacob's girlfriend) at The Cove. The Cove was featured on Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives. It is part laundromat, part restaurant, part car wash. Great experience. Amazing food. Definitely a place you should try.

The Ockermans are a very special family. I met Georgia and her daughter Katie on a mission trip to Brazil in 2000. In November of that same year, Katie was killed in a car accident. Adam and I flew to San Antonio for the funeral. I saw Georgia again in 2002 and 2004 on two week campaigns to Brazil. Our friendship continued to grow. When I interned, I spent a lot of time at the Ockerman house with Georgia, Jacob, Joel, and Emily. I considered them my second family and lots of people thought I looked like them. Georgia was always so friendly and made me feel at home the moment I arrived in San Antonio. She was always there to listen and willing to help in any way. I am so thankful for the friendship I have with her and her kids. I was sad that Jacob and Joel were not there.

Craig and I spent the rest of Saturday on the River Walk. We went to the MAX and saw a film about the Alamo. Then, we toured the Alamo. We walked around the River Walk, ate dinner at Casa Rio, and walked some more. It's such a beautiful place, and we really enjoyed it.

On Sunday, we went to Northside, and I was so excited to see so many old friends. It was great to see some of the kids who were in the youth group when I interned (Stacey, Taylor, Kyle, Tyler, Emily, Katelyn, Renee), lots of parents of kids (Andersons, Turners, Whartons, Haney, Tuckers, Vasquez, Clyde, Pippert, Frolichstein, Huddleston), and friends from the Brazil campaigns (Perdues, Royses, Coopers, Joe). Northside is a very special place, and I am so thankful for the summers I spent there.

We flew back home on Sunday. It was a wonderful trip, and we can't wait to go back

No comments:

Post a Comment