Sunday, July 17, 2011

Gatlinburg

We just returned from a long weekend trip to Gatlinburg with my family, and we had a blast! It all started on Thursday when we dropped Tucker Bear off at his boarding home. Then, Craig and I drove to Nashville to pick up two of our favorites (Luke and Laura) for the remainder of the trip.

On a side note...
Outside of Knoxville, we decided to make a stop for the restroom. Well, let's just say, that I don't think we will ever forget the hole in the wall where we stopped. It looked like a little shack. There was no air conditioner inside, which we noticed mainly because we had to wait in line for the potty. Laura was lucky enough to go first. When she came out with a terrified look, I knew I was in trouble. The toilet was full and would not flush. Once inside, I noticed several things. The bathroom was not clean. The toilet had several papers taped to the lid, and the top was hanging off the side. However, I really had to pee, so I held my nose and prayed the contents would not overflow. I survived. As I was washing my hands (thoroughly), I heard the toilet flush. How was that possible? Remember, I was at the sink. I walked back to the toilet to find EVERYTHING gone. I mean, there was hardly even any water in the toilet. A mystery. A funny story. A laugh shared by many for numerous days. A story we will never forget.

Back to the real story...
Anyways, we arrived in Gatlinburg in time for dinner. Dad grilled burgers and hot dogs. After dinner, we played Five Crowns until Adam and Cathy arrived. Then, we hung out and played more games. Friday morning we (Dad, Adam, Luke, and I) drove to Knoxville to pick up Bethany from the airport. We spent the rest of the day hanging out at the cabin, bowling at the community center, playing games, eating Adam and Cathy's yummy dinner, and playing putt-putt.

Saturday morning we went to The Apple Bard for breakfast, which was so yummy! Luke, Laura, Adam, Cathy, and Bethany went for an afternoon hike while Mom, Dad, Grandma, Craig, and I relaxed at the cabin. For dinner, we all contributed to an Italian feast. I organized a special trivia game for us to play, which was a lot of fun. The rest of the night was spent, yes you guessed it, playing games and hanging out.

Today we had a devotional before leaving. It was a great time to reflect on the love we have through Jesus and the love we share as a family. Adam and Cathy headed back to Harrisonburg, and the rest of us went to Nashville to watch the USA play Japan in the Women's World Cup finals. Although we were heartbroken with the final outcome, we enjoyed watching the sport we all love so much.

It was a great trip spent with 9 of my favorite people!! I am blessed with a wonderful family, and I am so thankful for the time we have to be together. Thanks to Mom and Dad for a long weekend vacation!!

1 comment:

  1. I'm thankful the only outhouse experience I had this weekend was on one of the holes at Hillbilly Golf! :) We had fun, too...thanks for all you did, especially the sweet welcome bag for everyone and your work on the family trivia game. See you soon1

    ReplyDelete