Sunday, September 20, 2009

The Little Things...

Sometimes it's the little things that really hit me...

Tonight, Craig and I decided to make homemade pizza. YUM!! This is a family recipe, and Craig likes it better than our favorite pizza chain, Papa John's. I think one of the reasons I enjoy cooking so much is because I come from a long line of amazing cooks. My mom always cooked when I was young. As a child, I wished we went out more, but now, I'm so thankful for her good meals and wish I could have them more. My grandmother is a natural. Her cooking is another meal I miss. I love to make family recipes. They are fun to make and always make me feel like part of home is with me.

Homemade pizza reminds me of my aunt, Cathy. I believe the recipe belongs to her, and I remember eating it at her house on numerous occasions. As many of you know, she passed away suddenly this summer. As I was rolling out the dough on my cookie sheet (that's how she always made it), I started crying. I couldn't hold back the tears. I miss her, and I know I'm not the only one. I know my uncle misses her, as well as her sons, daughter-in-laws, grandchildren, her sister, her mother, her friends, her nieces, her nephews and so many more people. I miss her bright smile that was always on her face. I miss her laugh. I miss so many things about her. Sometimes it's the little moments in life that bring back a flood of memories. Tonight, she has been on my mind. She was an amazing person and a part of her lives on in the loved ones she left behind.

While I was at her house, during the week of her illness and passing, I remember something Jackie (her daughter-in-law) said to sweet Naomi(Jackie's little girl). "Naomi, do you know what Anna's middle name is?" Naomi, of course, did not know. Jackie went on to tell Naomi that my middle name was Catherine, which was also Naomi's middle name. She also told Naomi, Gran (my Aunt Cathy) must really be a special woman to have a niece and two granddaughters named after her. I am honored to share my aunt's name and hope to follow the example she left me of a woman devoted to the service of her Lord and of others.

2 comments:

  1. loved your blog, sweetie! i am so proud of you for loving to cook like you do (and doing it so well). You are keeping up a great family tradition! aunt cathy certainly loved you, too. remember, you were the first little girl to come along in the family in a long time! you can tell craig she's one of the ones (of many) who helped spoil you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anna, your post made me cry. I am sitting here sniffling while I respond. She was a very special lady and we miss her every day, too. I will miss those mass-batches of pizza when we go to visit, too. Can you send me the recipe? :)

    ReplyDelete